Be unique within yourself: Design your business around your lifestyle
If you’re looking to maximize your enjoyment while have the freedom and security that comes with knowing you have full control of your life, then a lifestyle business may be exactly what you need. – Sean Ogle
As the owner of my financial consulting company, I wear a lot of hats and do the majority of the work myself. The one thing I want to achieve everyday is the satisfaction of waking up and doing what I love. Because it’s my business my priority is to serve my clients by going above and beyond their expectations. But, I also understand that my business must serve me as well.
Some might say designing your business around your lifestyle is unrealistic. But, I say it’s unrealistic to believe you will be successful in business if your lifestyle suffers.As a business owner we know that our day rarely ends at 5 o’clock. It’s up to us to decide how much of our lifestyle is affected when balancing it all. Ask yourself what is important you, and take the steps to make sure these things are accomplished by designing your business to fit your lifestyle.
Start by asking questions that define your business
- What do you want to achieve in your business?
- Do you want to work alone or with a team?
- How fast or slow do you want your business to grow?
- What type of relationships do you want with customers?
- What sort of impact do you want to make in your industry?
Ask questions that define your unique lifestyle
- How much revenue do you want to generate?
- Do you want to work from home or an outside office?
- Do you want to travel? How much or how little?
- Do you like want to work year around or have certain seasons off?
- Do you want to build relationships with customers?
To successfully combine business and lifestyle, you must spend more time working on your businesses, not in it. Decide exactly how you will execute your daily task. Identify what is important to your customers and apply an extra touch that makes you unique. The most important thing with business and lifestyle is mindfulness of time. When I worked full-time in corporate banking, there never seemed to be enough free time. Many entrepreneurs make the mistake of carrying their work schedule from their job into their business. Outsource or delegate task you do not specialize in. Creating time to enjoy your desired lifestyle will keep you enthusiastic and creative about your business, which ensures unlimited success.
Some benefits of building your business around your lifestyle
- Fast profit – When you work for yourself, your overhead is lower.
- Location flexibility – You can choose to work from home an office space.
- Less stress – Though there’s a lot of pains when you’re a business owner, it’s less stressful when you’re not working somewhere for someone who you don’t want to.
- Flexible projects – You can stick to one thing or expand into as many different things you want.
What’s unique about all successful businessmen and businesswomen is that they have built their work around their lifestyle. Don’t force things that don’t come naturally for you. This almost always leads to frustrations and disappointment. If you have chosen to start your own business, take the time to build an action plan that supports your unique lifestyle.